As I had slightly more than a single jelly roll to use, I ended up with plenty of blocks to play with -
By putting together 4 of these blocks you get a bigger block – here are the first two I sewed together
I love the scrappy look you get and as you put more together you get a secondary pattern and a real sense of movement.
Now I’ve completed the centre, I’m off to buy some fabric for the borders and the binding
As I’ve enjoyed making one simple quilt, I thought I’d stick with simple projects and chose to make a jelly roll quilt using a pattern from the first book Pam and Nicky Linttot wrote -
I’ve used a jelly roll using batiks – in fact I had 1.5 jelly rolls (I’d used part of one for a small project) which enabled me to ditch some of the stronger yellow strips which seemed to jar with the rest.
After sewing pairs of strips together and then sewing two pairs into tubes, I used a ruler to cut out triangles -
Which when they were opened up, looked like this -
Having made all the blocks it was time to add some sashing and sew it all together. I came across this unusual green in my stash – clearly something of an aberration – but it seemed to be perfect for my blocks -
Until I’d put it all together, I hadn’t realised how big it was – another bed quilt I think!
And as I couldn’t imagine finding something else that would suit the background fabric so well, I put together a bar quilt for the back -
A friend of mine who is involved in the River Waveney Trust has been organising an auction of items and promises to raise money and asked if I had anything I was happy to donate.
I made the Irish Coffee quilt a number of years ago – it was exhibited at one of the Roothing Valley quilt shows and has covered one of our beds for a number of years. It seemed time to let it go to a new home.
I was delighted to hear that it had been bought by a man for his wife who is largely bed ridden. I so hope she gets pleasure from it as well as keeping her warm.