Another cushion on its way

This design is a real favourite of mine.







I made it before when I made a set of cushions in NYC fabrics and wanted to make it again.







It’s quite time consuming in terms of working out the colour placement and making the right half triangles but I think is worth the effort.

IMG_2011 IMG_2012


















All I need to do now is add a border and get on with the quilting.


Finished Cushions

With the weather being so miserable these last few days, I’ve been somewhat hibernating and am glad to have a hobby like patchwork to keep me occupied.

I finished the applique on the second of the cushions and then got on with the quilting.  I decided to have a go at free motion quilting on my fairly new Bernina – as a long arm quilter I find quilting on a domestic sewing machine, something of a challenge.  Moving the fabric instead of the machine takes a bit of getting used to! Actually it went reasonably well, though I didn’t manage to avoid eyelashes from the bobbin thread showing on the tighter curves even though I had a fiddle with the tension.







For this cushion I just free motion quilted the border then did a wiggly line around the tan large squares and a X through the smaller tan squares.







And here they are in situ  – at last!IMG_1989














I’ve caught the hexi bug!

When I was in New York in the autumn, I paid a final visit to City Quilter which had announced the closure of its physical store and tracked down Gotham Quilts which is a small location in the heart of the garment district.  While browsing the mainly modern fabrics, I found myself drawn to some precut packs of large hexis using Tula Pink fabrics.







I’d always vowed never to do hexis but with precuts, modern fabrics and no need to arrange them in Grandmother’s Garden layouts, I’ve succumbed.

I’ve been sewing them into strips while working on the split stars quilt, using them as starters and leavers so I can constantly chain piece. And now have quite a pile -







I’m quite sure about the layout – I’ve been inspired by some of the designs in Carolyn Forsters book but think I might applique them at different heights onto a dark background so they float.  It may just end up as the back of another quilt – for the moment I just need to finish up sewing the hexies.



On with the borders

So I’ve spent the last couple of weeks putting together four patches using the fabrics from the stars for a border for the split stars quilt.



















It always amazes me how long it takes to add borders to a quilt top but yesterday I finished it! And I realised this the first “serious” quilt I pieced for a quite a while and feel inspired to do more.

IMG_1981 IMG_1980











The quilting though will need to wait until my quilt studio is lined out and I can get my quilting frame up – I want to use this top of experiment with some modern quilting.