CIMG0177

Some cushions at last!

After some months of distraction since the lap quilt including working on the split stars quilt, I finally got round to starting to make some cushions for the sitting room.  Once again I turned to my copy of Pillow Pop which has some great designs.

CIMG0178

 

 

 

 

 

This is my first choice – I’ve decided to make two cushions with different design on the front and the back so I can swap them around.  As they come out as quite large, I don’t need more than one for each corner of the sofa.

CIMG0179

 

 

 

 

 

For the other side, I decided on this design -

CIMG0182

 

 

 

 

 

As it suggested using blanket stitch for the applique, I decided it would easier to use bondaweb rather than sew on the applique

CIMG0181

 

 

 

 

 

Here it is all stuck in place and ready for the blanket stitch which will be a bit of an adventure as I’ve not used that stitch yet on my new machine.

CIMG0183

 

CIMG0174

Gentle lap quilt

In the summer, I fell in love with these fabrics at Sew & So’s and just had to buy them.

CIMG0176

 

 

 

 

 

My first plan was to make some cushions for our sitting room but then I remembered a quilt I made a few years back from fabric I’d bought in the States -

078

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And thought it would be nice to make the pattern again in these fabrics.  As I wanted a slightly larger quilt, I made the large blocks wider and added a couple more blocks to each row.  Obviously this resulted in several more trips to the quilt shop for more fabric but I was very pleased with the result.

CIMG0172

 

 

 

 

 

But I still need to make some cushions!

CIMG0190

Split Stars on Point

Sew & Sos were able to provide me with just the right grey background for my 16 split star blocks.

CIMG0186

 

 

 

 

 

so I spent a productive couple of hours last week putting the split star blocks on their points interspaced with grey blocks.

CIMG0189

 

 

 

 

 

This has resulted in a 40″ square which I’m going to add some borders – a plain grey border, a 4 patch border using some the fabrics I used for the split stars and a further grey border.  I hoping the result will be fairly dramatic but not too busy – and there will be lots of “negative” space for quilting!