Over the last 9 months I’ve been making some of the blocks from Tula Pinks book – take a look at the Quilt Challenge page.
And now I’ve reached the point of putting the top together. I decided to try out a shadow effect when setting the blocks and I’m really please with how it’s turned out -
As the jelly roll I had used was quite a few years old, the fabrics were no longer available so I decided on a pale batik for the border which had a pinky tint to it. But with the centre being so busy it felt too plain on its own and I had rather a lot of scraps left over. So I thought about doing some flowers
connected with stems and leaves -
I satin stitched the leaves which I’d bondawebbed on to the border on the machine and then hand appliqued the stem. Once they were in place, I bondawebbed the petals of the flowers onto the border and edged them with a blanket stitch on the machine.
For the corners I used parts of some spare blocks from the centre of the quilt. It took a while to do but I think was worth it -
So I’ve another quilt top finished, ready for my long arm when it’s up and running again. I’m hoping to hear about the planning permission for my quilt studio very soon and have my fingers crossed that by the end of the year the studio will be done and I can get back to quilting again .
At the beginning of August I spent two fantastic days at a workshop with Katherine Guerrier called Houses with Attitude! I went because she is one of my quilting heroes – I hugely admire her kwirky style -
and enjoyed a workshop with her at the NEC some years ago when we made art wall hangings.
It was a really fun two days – playing with fabrics, being free to create and improvise. I made two houses with some fillers and trees -
And having thought originally I’d just do a wall hanging, I think I’ll make some more and make a fun lap quilt to bring a smile on those dull days. It’s a great scrap user uppers and makes a nice change from making blocks.
As I had slightly more than a single jelly roll to use, I ended up with plenty of blocks to play with -
By putting together 4 of these blocks you get a bigger block – here are the first two I sewed together
I love the scrappy look you get and as you put more together you get a secondary pattern and a real sense of movement.
Now I’ve completed the centre, I’m off to buy some fabric for the borders and the binding
As I’ve enjoyed making one simple quilt, I thought I’d stick with simple projects and chose to make a jelly roll quilt using a pattern from the first book Pam and Nicky Linttot wrote -
I’ve used a jelly roll using batiks – in fact I had 1.5 jelly rolls (I’d used part of one for a small project) which enabled me to ditch some of the stronger yellow strips which seemed to jar with the rest.
After sewing pairs of strips together and then sewing two pairs into tubes, I used a ruler to cut out triangles -
Which when they were opened up, looked like this -
Having made all the blocks it was time to add some sashing and sew it all together. I came across this unusual green in my stash – clearly something of an aberration – but it seemed to be perfect for my blocks -
Until I’d put it all together, I hadn’t realised how big it was – another bed quilt I think!
And as I couldn’t imagine finding something else that would suit the background fabric so well, I put together a bar quilt for the back -
A friend of mine who is involved in the River Waveney Trust has been organising an auction of items and promises to raise money and asked if I had anything I was happy to donate.
I made the Irish Coffee quilt a number of years ago – it was exhibited at one of the Roothing Valley quilt shows and has covered one of our beds for a number of years. It seemed time to let it go to a new home.
I was delighted to hear that it had been bought by a man for his wife who is largely bed ridden. I so hope she gets pleasure from it as well as keeping her warm.
Sometimes it’s really nice to work on a quilt that doesn’t require matching seams and not cutting off points! I’ve enjoyed choosing the five fabrics for each block, making sure they are different -
And the dark blue for the sashing seems to provide a strong contrast to them -
When I last went to the Festival of Quilts at the NEC (two years ago I think) one of my purchases from Cotton Patch was a delicious collection of fat quarters by Dan Brown -
As they were far to nice to cut up into little pieces or dilute with other fabrics, I’ve been looking for a quilt design that would enable me to showcase them. And I found this design by Elizabeth Hartman which seems perfect -
So I’ve spent the afternoon cutting up my precious fabric ready to start sewing – I’m relieved to say that the pieces are quite large so it wasn’t too traumatic!
We have an horticultural and produce show in our village twice a year. The spring show is dominate by daffs, tulips and other spring flowers.
When all the judging is done and the prizes handed out, the flowers and other produce is auctioned off to raise funds. Aren’t these lovely -
And they lasted well too!